Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A letter from Congressman Cleaver

Dear Emily:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the elimination of Title X funding.  I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue. 

As you may know, an amendment to H.R. 1, the Continuing Appropriations Act of 2011 would end federal funding for Planned Parenthood Federation of America.  It is important that all Americans have the option to access contraception, as well as quality reproductive health care and sexual health information regardless of income, background or situation. For every dollar spent towards family planning, four dollars are saved.  Additionally, it is my job as your Representative and a federal legislator, to ensure that legislation considered by Congress is clear, simple and responsible. It is important that policies are not confusing and contradictory, especially those concerning the health and well-being of Americans. 

That is why I voted against House Amendment 95, an amendment which would end federal funding for Planned Parenthood.  I have consistently supported women's access to contraception and reproductive health care.  Should this issue come before me again on the House floor, I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I may be of further assistance. Also, I encourage you to visit my website at http://www.house.gov/cleaver, where you can sign up for my electronic newsletter and receive updates on my latest activities as your Representative.


Sincerely
Emanuel Cleaver, II
Member of Congress


Today I got an email response from my congressman in regards to an electronic petion I signed. I think a couple of things-first it is an awesome way to use technology. Technology has the capability to allow citizens a quicker and easier way of articulating their concerns or feelings to a political repersentative. It also always social organization en masse. However, the possbiliyt for thoughtless support shows its rearing head... a simple click can sign your name on a petition or let you email a repersenative of your choice. That fact aside, I think it is great. From my desk, bed, or even Croatia I can act on my political right.



No comments: